Friday, November 25

A most interesting day, because of major snow storms the whole Dutch road-network got jammed. 800 kms of traffic-jam (where 200 is usual on a Friday) and people stuck in traffic till after midnight. Strangely enough I wasn't affected at all and managed to drive home within the hour. Had dinner at my parents place then took off for home, turned the key....

And nothing happened. Checked whether I held the right key, spent half an hour trying everything possible to open my door and failed miserably. As it happens on days like these, I had forgotten my phone in the morning, so I made my way to the nearest phone-box, called my dad to drive up to my place and bring tools.

Waited half an hour in front of my door, let dad in, who decided that I wasn't necessarily stupid and that my lock had probably been tampered with and walked through the police-station to ask what to do and whether they knew the number of a locksmith. The good news was that they did, but they asked multiple times whether I knew that it would cost me loads of money. Wonder whether many people say:"Oh, didn't know that, forget about it, I'll sleep in my car".

Spent 45 minutes in a bar, having a drink, while waiting for the locksmith (who claimed he'd be there within the hour) and then spent 1.5 hours waiting in front of my front door before the locksmith arrived. Note to self:"leave games in car to play while waiting for locksmiths, without games life is pretty boring".

Eventually the locksmith arrived, he opened my door, replaced my lock and told me that the old lock had been replaced earlier that day. (And it did look completely different to me). Strangely nothing had been stolen (the what thief replaces the locks) and even more strangely, nobody had left me a note to tell me that he had replaced my locks and to tell me where to pick my my new set of keys. Typical!

The costs of a night spent with my father:"5 euros for 2 beers + tip" and 145 euros for lock replacement. Next time dad and me will hopefully just drink beer.